“Self-reflection is the school of wisdom.”
– Baltasar Gracian
Chances are you’ve heard about the 70-20-10 rule. The rule states that 70% of our learning comes from experience, 20% though exposure to others, and 10% from education. As a training professional, I generally agree. However, there is one critical component missing from this equation and it’s self-reflection.
In working with managers and employees on the “art” of career conversations, I often encourage them to ask one simple question after each new experience.
“What did you learn from that?”
The question automatically prompts self-reflection where true learning can take root.
As 2016 nears to a close, it’s the perfect time to contemplate, look back and reflect on what you’ve accomplished … your biggest triumphs (and even failures) and what you’ve learned as a result.
Here are 15 questions designed to get you looking back so you can start looking forward to 2017. Consider them on your own or start a conversation at work with your colleagues or even at home with your family.
- What was your biggest triumph in 2016?
- What was your biggest mistake in 2016?
- What was the smartest decision you made in 2016?
- What one word best sums up and describes your 2016 experience?
- What was the greatest lesson you learned in 2016?
- What was the most loving service you performed in 2016?
- What are you most happy about completing in 2016?
- Who were three people who had the greatest impact on your life in 2016?
- What is the biggest risk you took in 2016?
- What was the biggest surprise in 2016?
- What important relationship improved the most in 2016?
- What compliment would you like to have received in 2016?
- What compliment would you like to have given in 2016?
- What new talent did you develop in 2016?
- What else do you need to do or say to be complete with 2016?
Celebrate what you’ve learned ready to start a new year filled with promise, potential and opportunity. It’s a gift you can give yourself this holiday season and one that will keep on giving well into the New Year!