What if in 2014 you dared to ask? Dared to ask for what you want for greater job satisfaction? Dared to ask for a challenging opportunity? Our research shows that people want essentially the same things from work. They want exciting and challenging work; a supportive manager; to feel valued and respected; career growth, learning and development; and a flexible work environment. If we don’t ask, we are less likely to get what we want. Begin first with asking yourself and then reach out to your network to ask for what you need.
What we don’t ask for stays the same. So, ask! Go on, I dare you.
- What about my job makes me jump out of bed in the morning?
- What makes me hit the snooze button?
- What can my manager do more or less of?
- What do I want to learn?
- What makes for a great day?
- What can I do to make my job more satisfying and who do I need to ask to help make it happen?
- What are my career goals? What is one short-term goal I could start now?
- Do I want or need more recognition for my contribution?
- What is one change in my current role that would make me stay longer and be more satisfied?
- Looking back on 2013, when was I most engaged and satisfied at work? How can I get more of that in the coming year?